We Are Hiring
Certified Pharmacy Technician - Pharmacy Services General 001 - Full-Time,Rotating - Ascension Macomb - Oakland Hospital-34031 - Madison Heights, MI.
The rotating pharmacy technician shift times for the Madison Heights Campus are as follows:
0600-1430 (weekend only), 0500-1330, 0700-1530, 0900-1730 (weekend only), 1100-1930, 1330-2200, 1530-0000.
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 15 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 200,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an associate with St. John Health-MI, you will have the opportunity to under close supervision of a pharmacist, the pharmacy technician performs various functions associated with the dispensing of prescriptions and pharmaceutical supplies, including processing patient and interdepartmental charges, processing requests for products from pharmacy inventory, IVPB and LV preparation, and providing delivery or messenger services. Serves as a liaison between the staff/public and pharmacy services through contacts with staff/public to convey and receive information to maintain patient care.
- Review prescription label and fills the order accurately.
- Compute and compile charges for prescription and pharmaceutical supplies.
- Prepare nursing unit stock supply as requested.
- Order (places items needed on the want book) and maintains sufficient inventory of pharmaceutical supplies in all dispensing areas and notification to responsible people when reorder levels are reached.
- Serve as liaison between department, public and the hospital by conferring with individuals both personally and over the telephone to resolve problems and respond to questions.
- Compound IVs according to department specifications, including large volume parenterals, piggyback medications, and adults hyper alimentation.
- Operate the computers to generate needed labels, reports, MARs, and any other printing as needed.
- Responsible for maintenance of all equipment and clean work area, documentation where needed for quality assurance, preparation of unit dose carts for delivery to nursing units, delivery of IV and unit dose carts to nursing units and preparation of medication in unit of use packages when necessary.
- Assist with the training and education of new personnel.
- The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the care appropriate to the age of the patient served in their assigned area. Possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information relative to the patients age-specific needs and provide care needed, including but not limited to principles of growth and development, psychological needs, physiological needs, etc., as described in the policies and procedures manual.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrate the ability to sort and file medication orders and dispensing records. Alphabetizing and reading and writing skills are required.
- Demonstrate verbal and phone communication skills (good diction and pronunciation of the English language and drug names) for customer relations and relaying messages.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of drug names (brand and generic terms), medical and prescription abbreviations, pharmaceutical calculations and military time to be able to read and process prescription orders.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of aseptic technique and safe handling of antimicrobials and biologicals.
- Demonstrate manual dexterity and grip strength to safely perform complicated manipulation of sterile products.
- Other physical activities that may be required include carrying, some heavy lifting (up to 40 lbs.), standing, walking, bending, stooping, reaching, writing, talking and visual acuity to be able to read fine print (labels, expiration dating, and syringe calibrations).
- Demonstrate the ability to operate the telephone, fax machine, personal computer, typewriter, calculator, packaging equipment, automated dispensing equipment and pneumatic tube system.
- Demonstrate the ability to follow oral and written instructions with accuracy, speed and dependability. Must be able to take direction from pharmacists and refer clinical issues appropriately.
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule.
- Ability to assist in meeting the pharmaceutical care needs of neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Licensed Pharmacy Technician credentialed from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date.
- HS or Equivalent
- High School graduate or equivalent is required
- Trade School
- Community college, vocational school or formalized hospital pharmacy technician training (or related work experience) preferred.
- Personal computer or mainframe order entry experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: email@example.com
. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension Michigan participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)