We Are Hiring
Vice President, Infrastructure and Engineering
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Ascension includes approximately 156,000 associates and 34,000 aligned providers. The national health system operates more than 2,600 sites of care – including 151 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 21 states and the District of Columbia, while providing a variety of services including physician practice management, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, clinical care management, information services, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do
At Ascension Health, we are working hard to change the way healthcare is delivered - to be more patient-centric, caregiver-friendly, insight-led and Digital-first. We are bringing modern architecture, design thinking, advanced analytics, automation and cloud infrastructure to healthcare. In order to achieve this vision, we are rapidly building a worldclass technology team in a startup-like environment that inspires innovation, creativity and bold aspirations. We are looking for technology leaders to help build and lead an extraordinary team that has the potential to change healthcare at one of the largest mission-driven healthcare institutions in the country, and set the tone for the future of the industry itself.
The VP of Infrastructure and Engineering has overall responsibility for all IT infrastructure services and operations at Ascension, including network, storage, end user services, system engineering, including outsourced infrastructure operations. Reporting to the CIO, this is a critical and influential role, helping make strategic technology decisions and playing a central role in the success of Ascension’s technology transformation roadmap. This role will lead a rapid modernization of the infrastructure to deliver a high performing, high reliability infrastructure ecosystem at par with other cross-industry best practices. This leader will recruit and develop a worldclass team, create an inspiring culture, negotiate and manage large vendor contracts, partner with other senior technical leaders to drive strategic planning, and ensure a high quality of delivery. Passionate and technically curious with deep leadership experience in running at-scale IT Infrastructure organizations is key to success.
- Create and drive the overall vision for Technical Infrastructure at Ascension
- Recruit, develop and manage worldclass talent, fostering an inspiring team culture
- Lead all aspects of modernizing and managing a complex, large scale infrastructure footprint
- Ensure high reliability, high availability, scalability and cost efficiency of infrastructure services
- Define and adopt robust security practices and infrastructure, and ensure compliance with relevant regulatory and business mandates
- Track and ensure high customer satisfaction for internal users of Ascension infrastructure services
- Establish and drive adoption of Ascension’s standardized infrastructure services across teams and markets, in collaboration with other technology teams and leaders
- Stay abreast of the latest trends and innovations in infrastructure across industries (e.g., DevOps, automation, containerization, Agile, CI) and drive their adoption at Ascension
- Establish and drive adoption of a robust service catalog for all infrastructure services including defining and delivering the appropriate SLAs for reliability and performance
- Partner with the architecture and other teams to make strategic technical and vendor decisions
- Partner with other technology leaders in resource estimation, business case development and orchestrate deployment of optimal technical talent and other resources to projects
- Collaborate with product and platform teams to understand and translate requirements, ensuring specifications and architecture design meet broader IT Infrastructure strategic goals
- 15+ years as an IT professional, of which at least 5 years leading large-scale IT Infrastructure at a significant organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, computer science, engineering, or related field
- Experience leading large scale and modern IT Infrastructure footprints and organizations
- Experience managing critical infrastructure (e.g., databases, networks) in a mission-critical environment; experience in a highly regulated industry such as financial services or healthcare desired
- Track record running a high performance IT Infrastructure team, with a focus on driving continuous improvement and innovation
- Knowledge of site reliability engineering practices, security best practices and containerization
- Deep experience and knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Proven leadership qualities, with high energy and a passionate outlook to the job, strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to influence and inspire the teams and stakeholders
- Ability to foster and drive organizational change, within a highly matrixed environment, through process optimization, change leadership and the development of a strong network of partners
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with agile, DevOps or other rapid development methods
- Passion for innovation and a “can do” attitude #le@der2020
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension is an EEO/AA employer: M/F/Disabled/Vet. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)