We Are Hiring
Surgical First Assistant - Surgery
Ascension Via Christi Hospital St Francis - Wichita, KS
We are looking for an experienced cardiovascular associate for our Heart Team to perform as a Surgical First Assistant. This role is critical to our team and we are offering a $20,000 sign-on bonus to help you transition to your new career.
Why Join Ascension?
Via Christi Health, a part of Ascension, is the largest healthcare provider in the state of Kansas and operate a network of hospitals, home care services, clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, imaging centers, and other health services.
Our benefits and culture are two aspects of Via Christi that we feel set us apart.
- We offer tuition reimbursement that is available to both part-time and full-time associates in any position.
- We offer child care for day shift associates through our Child Development Center.
- Our Breaking Bread program, allows employees to join senior leaders for a meal and conversation about what is working well and ways we can work together to improve. It’s one small way we give employees a voice and work together to offer the best care possible for our patients.
- We were voted Best in Town by the Wichita Eagle’s 2017 Readers’ Choice Awards and named in Becker’s Healthcare 2017 list of 100 hospitals and health systems with great oncology, neurosurgery and spine programs.
What You Will Do
We are looking for team members to help grow our Heart Team. We need team players and hard workers. As a Surgical First Assistant, you will cooperatively work with about 20 compassionate team members to provide the best patient care experience possible.
Within the unit, we have 3 heart rooms and we also utilize our hybrid room for surgical procedures. Our team supports 4 doctors and will be welcoming a new surgeon to the team in September.
We have a stellar reputation. Our TAVR program has won many awards and our innovative surgical teams have been the first in the world to perform several surgical procedures.
6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Monday-Friday, no weekends, or holidays!
One on-call day per week
One on-call weekend per month (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).
- Position patient to give best exposure for surgical procedure, using stabilizing equipment when necessary, while maximizing patient comfort and safety.
- Provide visualization of the operative site using appropriate method, including manipulation of tissue and materials, retraction, sponging, suctioning and irrigation.
- Utilize appropriate technique to achieve temporary and permanent hemostasis.
- Assist with body plane closure, application of wound dressings and securing of drainage systems.
- Assist in room clean up and the removal of the soiled case cart, supplies, and trash from OR room as needed at the completion of the surgical case.
- Participate as a surgical team member in the preparation of the surgical suite according to surgeon's preference cards with appropriate instruments, resources and supplies.
What You Will Need
- BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 3 Months (90 days) of hire date.
- Surgical Assistant credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Technical degree required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Via Christi Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer. Applicants receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
Please see the link below for more information.
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension Health - VIA Christi participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)