We Are Hiring
Laboratory Assistant - General Lab Anc 001 - Full-Time, Evenings - St Agnes Hospital-Baltimore MD - Baltimore, MD
Work Schedule: M - F, 3:00pm - 11:30pm
Why Join Ascension?
Saint Agnes Healthcare serves the greater Baltimore area and employs more than 3,000 associates. Saint Agnes offers a full range of services through its operation of a 254-bed, full-service teaching hospital, Saint Agnes Medical Group, Seton Imaging Center, and Saint Agnes Foundation. Partnerships throughout the community have positioned Saint Agnes to provide support to individuals when and where they need it most. Saint Agnes strives to ensure the vitality and health of the community.
Saint Agnes Healthcare is part of Ascension, a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with St. Agnes Healthcare-MD, you will have the opportunity to
Performs technical and clerical functions in one or more sections of the laboratory.
- Assists with receiving, identifying, accessioning, processing and transporting specimens.
- Maintains equipment and adequate stock of supplies.
- Maintains work area in a safe, aseptic and organized manner.
- Performs clerical duties which may include but are not limited to answering phones, data entry, and filing.
- Monitor status of lab ordersand tracks specimens by pending logs and reports.
- Fax requested reports and information. Maintains patient information files as required by State and Federal regulations.
- Communicates with physicians, nurses and other hospital staff and clients to obtain required clinical information necessary to complete testing and maintain compliance. Troubleshoots handling or saving specimens with lack of information on requisition, unclear test orders, missing specimens, and any other situation which requires additional investigation. May interacts with the couriers and clients regarding Stat specimens and those requiring special handling.
- Assists with procedural changes for necessary updates to laboratory manuals. Provides instruction to new associates and maintains and records training on appropriate checklists. Participate in interdepartmental, hospital and departmental committees as appropriate.
- Checks electronic mail at the start of each scheduled shift for critical updates. Documents concerns,complaints, patient ID errors, failure to follow policy/procedure, LIS downtime, and other nonconforming events through use of the occurrence reporting system.
- Assists with registration.
What You Will Need Education:
- HS or Equivalent
- Required: High school diploma or equivalent at date of hire
- Required: No experience at date of hire. Preferred: Recent experience in hospital or clinical laboratory setting functioning in a job title encompassing preparation of patient samples for diagnostic testing at date of hire.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As an equal opportunity employer, Saint Agnes Hospital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, veterans status, military service, or any other legally protected status.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.