We Are Hiring
Pathologist Assistant - Lab Histology Anc 001 - Full-Time, Days - St Agnes Hospital-Baltimore MD - Baltimore, MD
Work Schedule: 8AM-4:30PM, Monday-Friday
Why Join Ascension?
Saint Agnes Healthcare serves the greater Baltimore area and employs more than 3,000 associates. Saint Agnes offers a full range of services through its operation of a 254-bed, full-service teaching hospital, Saint Agnes Medical Group, Seton Imaging Center, and Saint Agnes Foundation. Partnerships throughout the community have positioned Saint Agnes to provide support to individuals when and where they need it most. Saint Agnes strives to ensure the vitality and health of the community.
Saint Agnes Healthcare is part of Ascension, a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with St. Agnes Healthcare-MD, you will have the opportunity to
Provides anatomic pathology services under the supervision of a pathologist .
- Performs gross description and dissection of human tissue surgical specimens for microscopic examination, holding and transport/shipment, ensuring proper identification and accessioning.
- Prepares specimens for cytological studies and maintains surgical and medical cytology reports.
- Assists with fine needle aspirations performed in Radiology and physician offices.
- Prepares cases for and assists with the coordination of cancer conferences.
- Performs postmortem examinations in accordance with current autopsy practices and in compliance with departmental policies and procedures, to include verification of decedent identity and authorization validity, complete autopsy dissection, microbiological cultures, photography, required special studies, preliminary report preparation, histologic sampling and dictation of gross autopsy findings.
- Performs periodic disposal of processed surgical and autopsy specimens in accordance with laboratory regulations, departmental policies and hospital safety procedures.
- Maintains and updates the Gross Photograph Archive on the laboratory/hospital information systems.
- Assists to the Lead Pathologists Assistant with ancillary duties of the department.
- Assists the Supervisor with personnel competency training and ancillary duties of the department.
What You Will Need Education:
- Bachelor of Science
- Required: Bachelor's of Science degree in Anatomical Pathology or a related life-science (Biology, Chemistry, Medical Technology, etc) Preferred: Master of Science degree in Anatomical Pathology, awarded from a NAACLS-approved Pathologists' Assistant training program
- Required: ASCP Certification as a Pathologists Assistant [PA(ASCP)] or if an NAACLS-approved Pathologists Assistant training program recent graduate, ASCP Certification Examination must be taken within 18 months Continued employment is contingent upon successful certification
- Required: None. Preferred: One year of surgical grossing and autopsy experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As an equal opportunity employer, Saint Agnes Hospital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, veterans status, military service, or any other legally protected status.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.