We Are Hiring
Physician, Cardiothoracic Surgery - Ascension Borgess - Full-Time,Day - Borgess Heart Institute - Kalamazoo,MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 15 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 200,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Compensation: This is a hospital employed position with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Teaching and research opportunities are available through Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine.
Ascension Borgess Hospital
Join our Community
- As a member of Borgess Health, our physicians join a large community of providers who are called to deliver compassionate, personalized care for all persons, especially those who are struggling or affected by poverty.
- Whether you’re looking to fulfill your calling here or at one of our 1,900 Ascension sites of care across 24 states, we are here to support you. Patients benefit from our nationwide collaboration between hospitals, medical practices and innovators.
- As a member of the largest nonprofit provider of care in the country, we are able to share best practices and knowledge across our smart network.
- We recognize that the most important part of a healthcare network is our doctors and our advanced practice providers who are providing care for patients. To support your work, Borgess Health and Ascension provide tools and resources to help you deliver quality, individualized outcomes.
- Borgess Health includes more than 130 sites of care in 15 southern Michigan cities, as well as eight owned or affiliated hospitals, a nursing home, ambulatory care facilities, home health care, physician practices, managed care services, a cancer center and an air ambulance service.
- Borgess Health offers a complete continuum of services to over 1 million people living in 10 counties in southwest Michigan.
- Borgess Medical Center, the heart of the network in Kalamazoo, is a 424-bed teaching facility, with renowned cardiology, behavioral health and neuroscience programs.
- Located halfway between Detroit and Chicago and 45 minutes from the Lake Michigan shoreline.
- It is an important destination for business, education and cultural events.
- Kalamazoo is home to three local colleges/universities as well as Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine.
- The greater Kalamazoo area has several outstanding school systems.
- Portage, MI, just 10 minutes outside of the city, has been ranked by several publications and websites as one of the BEST PLACES to live in MI.
- We are also home to the famous Kalamazoo Promise. The Kalamazoo Promise is the only scholarship program of its kind. The program provides resident graduates of the Kalamazoo Public Schools with to up 100 percent of their tuition and mandatory fees for four years at Michigan's public universities and community colleges. This includes U of M and MSU.
- Kalamazoo offers all the amenities of the big city, only minutes away from quiet neighborhoods and more remote country-side or lakeside living. The maximum commute time anywhere in the city is 20 minutes without the bumper-to-bumper traffic of large metro areas.
- There are 101 lakes in Kalamazoo county.
- There are dozens of outdoor, family- friendly activities [Hiking, camping, biking, skiing, boating +]
- There are three museums, fantastic concert venues, sporting events and theater.
What You Will Do
Ascension | Borgess Health, Kalamazoo, is seeking a Board Eligible or Board Certified Non- Cardiac THORACIC Surgeon. You can expect to join a group of 3 Cardiothoracic Surgeons & 3 Advanced Practice Providers. Qualified candidates must be Board Eligible/Certified with strong recommendations. This role would be focused on growth and development of the thoracic surgery program with emphasis on lung and esophagus. Ideal candidate would be thoracic surgeon with either VATS and/ or Robotic skill set.
Our quality program at Borgess is a 40 year old Cardiothoracic Program with volume and potential for growth. Servicing the Southwest Michigan referral base of 970,000 patients is a team of 4 Pulmonologists, 4 Oncologists, Gasteroenterologists and Interventional Radiologists. Included on our campus are 4 CTS Rooms/Plenty of OR Time/Endovascular Suites /Endobronchial Suites/Navigational Bronchoscopy/DaVinci Xi systems.
Provides medical services to patients in an assigned area.
- Evaluates and treats patients with appropriate medical diagnostic and treatment skills. Coordinates discharge planning with case management.
- Recommends, participates in, and works to ensure the success of efforts to improve cost effectiveness and quality of care provided to patients.
- Accepts patient referrals from other physicians. Acts as admitting, attending and/or consulting physician for patients who require hospitalization for primary medical diagnoses, depending on needs of patients, medical staff and hospital.
- Participates in academic programs (e.g. medical education and research) as requested.
- Provides appropriate documentation that meets insurance company requirements; appeal all denials in a timely manner.
- Participates in inpatient and outpatient consultation for specialty, which may include on call schedules.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Physician MD/DO with Prescriptive Authority credentialed from the Michigan Board of Medicine obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date. Credentialing done by Medical Staff department.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) or Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) or Doctor of Optometry (OD) or Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) required
- 1-2 years as Thoracic surgery. New graduates welcomed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Borgess Health is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the nondiscrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, disability, veteran or marital status.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.