We Are Hiring
Medical Coder - Saginaw GI - FT Day 80 Hours Bi-Weekly - Ascension St. Mary's Hospital - GI - Saginaw,MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 15 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 200,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension St. Mary's Hospital, you will have the opportunity to apply the appropriate diagnostic and procedural code to patient health records for purposes of document retrieval, analysis and claim processing.
- Abstracts pertinent information from patient records. Assigns the International Classification of Diseases, Clinical Modification (ICD), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) or Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes, creating Ambulatory Patient Classification (APC) or Diagnosis-Related Group (DRG) assignments.
- Obtains acceptable productivity/quality rates as defined per coding policy.
- Queries physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements.
- Conducts chart audits for physician documentation requirements & internal coding; provides associate/physician & education as appropriate.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Keeps abreast of and complies with coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements.
What You Will Need Education:
- High school diploma or GED required
Equal Employment Opportunity
SMOM/SJHS provide Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SMOM/SJHS complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.