We Are Hiring
Emergency Department Tech - Emergency Department
Part-Time,Night (8% shift differential): 7p - 7:30a, M - F, QOWE
Ascension Genesys HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 15 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 200,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to perform a variety of patient related duties in accordance with established policies and procedures in the Nursing Department, under the general supervision of a registered nurse; duties may including, but are not limited to: patient care procedures such as patient hygiene, CPR, basic transport, vital signs including peak flows and pulse oximetry, specimen collection, phlebotomy, EKG's, postmortem care, simple orthopedic procedures, instructs and demonstrates proper use of orthopedic equipment and supplies; performs outline operational checks to ensure emergency and other equipment is functional and safe; ensures supplies are stocked and readily available; demonstrates knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to provide care to age groups(s) served; performs other related duties as assigned.
- 1 Assists professional nurse with medical screening of incoming emergency patients
- 2 Obtains and documents patient's vital signs including blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and temperature and verbally reports any changes or abnormalities to the RN; obtains vital signs for infants, children and adults
- 3 Observes patient condition and reports immediately an untoward sign, symptoms or unusual occurrences
- 4 Obtains specimens as ordered; specimens are labeled and sent to the laboratory; applies pediatric urine isolation devices
- 5 Provides assistance when requested or as indicated in transporting infants, children or adult patients, or in transferring patient to/from cart or wheelchair, or to/from automobile
- 6 Performs EKG's as directed; provides report to RN and/or ED physician immediately for eval
- 7 Applies cardiac monitor electrodes to patient and is able to operate cardiac monitor and to identify life-threatening arrhythmia; initiates Basic Life Support in both adult and children
- 8 Assists patient care for any life or limb threatened emergency patients, as directed by RN
- 9 Assists RN w/pediatric procedures including immobilizing (sheet mummy), weight, spinal tap
- 10 Monitors and reports to RN presence, location, intensity of patients pain utilizing appropriate assessment tools applicable for patient condition and/or understanding
- 11 Promotes safe environment for patient and self; identifies, reports high risk patients to RN; implements appropriate safety measures, assists RN in utilizing restraint alternatives and/or restraints; observes patients in restraints for comfort and safety; ensures restraints are not restrictive to extremities; offers food, fluid, toiletry opportunities per policy
- 12 Assembles equipment and assists the physician; as directed by the RN; differentiates and selects appropriate type and/or size of equipment/supplies for patient age and/or developmental status
- 13 Assists with patient ambulation as indicated; performs other patient related duties as required by RN/ED physician; completes special unit jobs in a timely manner: equipment cleaned and returned to proper areas, inspect and care for supplies, assist with ordering and obtaining supplies, restock unit cabinets, assist with room turnover
- 14 Participates in mandatory in-services, continuing education, relevant meetings to maintain, improve understanding of present, future trends in health care; participates in unit problem solving; maintains competency requirements
- 15 Works effectively with others; assists in orientation of new personnel as requested; assists w/documentation on clinical records, monitor sheets, etc.; adheres to standards of practice, policy, procedure, and clinical practice guidelines; participates in Quality Assessment, Quality improvement activities as directed by Nurse Mgr/Dir-Nursing including: chart review, safety, universal precautions, others as assigned; maintains professional working relationship with external emergency agencies
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1) Must demonstrate effective communication skills, initiate, tact, diplomacy, other skills necessary to perform all duties of position; ability to read, write legibly, speak and understand English; 2) Ability to work and stand for long periods of time, and to lift, position, and transport patients and equipment; manual dexterity necessary to adjust, assemble, and utilize equipment; 3) Ability to maintain confidentiality and effectively interact with patients and families in courteous, effective and tactful manner
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Ability to work in patient care environment with moderate exposure to excessive noises, dust, temperatures, frequent exposure to communicable disease, hazardous wastes, and moderately adverse Working Conditions while in performance of patient care activities
- ORIENTATION REQUIREMENTS: Must attend Medical Center new hire and department orientations
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification; It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control work of employees under their supervision; the most recently dated job description on file in Human Resources will be considered the official job description
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified BLS Provider specializing in Basic Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 3 Months (90 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- One or more of the following:
- Licensed Emergency Medical Tech credentialed from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) . Advanced licensure preferred.
- Must have knowledge of human physiciology/biology, patient care procedures, BLS, medical equipment and medical terminology at a level acquired through completion of an accreditied emergency medical technician program and Six months related medical experience with the ability to verbally demonstrate the proficiency and knowledge necessary to meet the requirements of position
Equal Employment Opportunity
Genesys Health System will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.