We Are Hiring
Ascension – Ascension Clinical Research Institute (ACRI)
Data Steward Role Description
1345 Philomena Street - Austin, TX
The Data Steward will strategically and tactically manage business data related to assigned functional areas within Ascension while ensuring high levels of data quality, availability and privacy. This individual will be responsible for coordinating all data additions and updates while monitoring adherence to governance policies, procedures and processes. Working with other key areas, the data steward will ensure consistent understanding of data definitions, and monitoring/auditing the overall data quality is accomplished
The Data Steward champions Master Data Management efforts, focusing on business benefits, fostering the goal of data re-use, and articulates the strategic significance of consistent, accurate and reliable information to executives and associates
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Ascension includes approximately 156,000 associates and 34,000 aligned providers. The national health system operates more than 2,600 sites of care – including 151 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 21 states and the District of Columbia, while providing a variety of services including physician practice management, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, clinical care management, information services, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do
- Monitors overall data quality for assigned data elements.
- Ensures the appropriateness of Ascension requests; researches whether element already exists to meet the requirements of the request; internally vets requests cross functionally within ACRI team prior to submission.
- Acts as a “gatekeeper” for Ascension to ensure all information required is gathered, accurate and complete prior to submitting the request.
- Serves as liasion for/to Ascension for the Master Data Management Governance Team.
- Identifies and reports data quality issues, related to uniqueness, integrity, accuracy, consistency, and completeness in a timely fashion. Collaborates with Master Data Management Governance and Ascension Technologies team to manage and resolve identified data quality issues
- Participate in regularly scheduled and ad hoc Data Steward meetings, forums, work groups, and educational sessions
- Participate in training and meetings to facilitate the sharing of data across functional areas and understanding of stewardship best practices
- Communicates Master Data Management process, practices and expectations to Ascension stakeholders
- Monitor and audit overall data quality and integrity to be consistent with established governance policies
- Partner with the Master Data Management Governance Team, Ministry Service Center MDS Team, and local Charge Description Master (CDM) Team to strengthen data management practices
- Participate in training to facilitate the sharing of data stewardship best practices
- Understand high-level data processes and down-stream impacts within decision making
- Remain accountable for data consistency and data quality
- Responsible for understanding and unique and standard Business Rules are implemented
- Ability to analyze complex processes into sub-processes
- Have clear understanding of your assigned functional area and the data being managed, and its implications downstream to other systems, processes, and applications
- Knowledge of the business rules for their functional areas
- Excellent oral, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong meeting facilitation skills as well as presentation skills.
- Communicate effectively with diverse people at various organization levels with right level of detail and cultural sensitivity
Flexible and open to new ideas with the ability to understand things from corporate, regional and local perspective while maintaining customer focus. Proven ability to work in an ambiguous environment; self-motivated to work in an independent and collaborative mode. Ability to build strong relationships with peers and leaders by building trust and credibility; strong collaboration skills. Active listening skills to understand business needs and steer business team to take decisions that have enterprise-wide impact effectively influence a team of individuals without reporting authority to achieve goals and meet deadlines
What You Will Need
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Technical degree required
- 3 years of experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics or other related major
- Experience working in a healthcare environment preferred
- General knowledge of hospital operations, patient management, the interrelationship of systems, and how technology enables business processes
- Basic knowledge of backend database configuration and processes
- Previous provider and clinical systems knowledge is preferred, both in the inpatient and ambulatory settings
- Proficient to advanced Microsoft Office skills with focus on Excel,
- Project Management Skills preferred
- Tableau experience preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension is an EEO/AA employer: M/F/Disabled/Vet. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)