We Are Hiring
Manager, Clinical Ethics
Remote / Virtual - Must reside within the Wichita, KS market
Join our Ethics team and provide clinical ethics consultation for the market of Wichita! You will support Mission Integration and partner with various leaders to drive mission initiatives.
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Ascension includes approximately 156,000 associates and 34,000 aligned providers. The national health system operates more than 2,600 sites of care – including 151 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 21 states and the District of Columbia, while providing a variety of services including physician practice management, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, clinical care management, information services, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do
The Manager of Clinical Ethics is responsible for supporting the provision of person-centered care by providing clinical ethics consultation services and supporting the proactive integration of ethics into existing clinical care processes. The Manager reports to the Director of Ethics Integration for the regional Ascension Center for Excellence in Catholic Healthcare Ethics, who serves the larger ministry market (sometimes multiple ministry markets) and the One Ascension national ministry. Leveraging their operational and clinical ethics consultation expertise, the Manager of Clinical Ethics provides an additional level of support to unit-based staff in response to complex ethical cases and supports the integration of systematic approaches, processes, policies, and resources for clinical ethics specific to the needs of the Health Ministry.
- Provide clinical ethics consultation for complex cases at the request of unit-based Ethics Point Persons imbedded within the health ministry or specific to the unique clinical service lines within the health ministry;
- Provide health ministry specific support to the Director of Ethics Integration in the development of Ethics Committee infrastructure necessary for effective, sustainable, and self-sufficient operations so those committees are empowered to integrate and embed Ethics into clinical operations at the local health ministry;
- Assist and support mission integration initiatives specific to ethics programing within the health ministry as directed by the Director of Ethics Integration and relative to health ministry specific needs; and
- Continue the development of one’s own professional skills and competencies necessary to fulfill the role of Manager of Clinical Ethics Program Integration in a way that contributes additional value to the operations of the Health Ministry.
What You Will Need
- MD, Advanced Practitioner (PA, APNP, etc.), or RN with master’s level work in health care ethics/bioethics and/or particular emphasis in Catholic moral theology; or
- Master's required in one or more of the following:
- Health care ethics/bioethics, and courses in Catholic theology,
- Theology/theological ethics with a concentration in health care ethics/bioethics;
- Philosophical ethics with a concentration in health care ethics/bioethics and courses in Catholic theology.
- PhD preferred
- 3 years of experience required, 5+ years of experience preferred supporting Clinical Ethics.
- Candidates need to be able to demonstrate knowledge of the Catholic moral tradition, including application of the Ethical and Religious Directives to complex clinical care issues.
- The preferred candidate will have experience in health care, preferably Catholic health care, especially working with ethics committees and performing clinical ethics consultations and ethics education.
- The preferred candidate will have knowledge of and demonstrated familiarity with: health care ethics--with a concentration in clinical bioethics, the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services, Catholic Social Thought, health care systems and institutions, health care law, health care administration, including ethics committees and processes of clinical consultation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension is an EEO/AA employer: M/F/Disabled/Vet. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)