We Are Hiring
Certified Nurse Assistant - SNF Nursing Unit A - Full-Time,Evening - Our Lady of Peace - Lewiston, NY
Why Join Ascension?
Senior Living and Long-Term Care Communities
As a subsidiary of Ascension, Ascension Living is committed to providing services, amenities, opportunities and support, so seniors can enjoy living healthier and happier, at every age and at every stage.
We’re the second-largest nonprofit system in the U.S. Our living choices include independent living, assisted living, memory care, short-term rehabilitative care and long-term skilled nursing care.
More than 10,000 adults live in our 54 senior living communities, which are located in 12 states, and Washington, D.C. Also, more than 5,500 associates are employed by Ascension – professional, compassionate individuals who believe in empowering people to age successfully.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Senior Living, you will have the opportunity to
The Certified Nurse Assistant primary responsibility is to assist the professional staff by performing various resident care activities and related nonprofessional services necessary in caring for the personal needs and comfort of the residents. Responsible for the delivery of resident care (baths, personal grooming, feeding) as directed by the Unit Manager, RN, or LPN. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards. Strives to incorporate the philosophy and mission of Our Lady of Peace Nursing Care Residence and to incorporate the Facility's goal of: Quality care, in a personal manner with total regard for individual human dignity. The secondary functions of the Certified Nurse Assistant is to assist in the delivery of Physical and Occupational Therapy and all of its assigned duties and responsibilities as well as responsible to work with residents needing restorative nursing measures to gain or to maintain their highest possible practical functional level. Responsible for providing consistency between therapist's work and carry over by nursing on a daily basis. The Certified Nurse Assistant is listed as current (not expired or lapsed) on the NYS Nurse Aide Registry, that the C.N.A.'s current nurse aide certification status has been verified with the NYS Nurse Aide Registry, that there are no findings or convictions of resident abuse, mistreatment, neglect or misappropriation of resident property listed on the Registry against the C.N.A., and that the printed verification from the Registry verifying all of the above is filed in the C.N.A.'s personnel records. Adheres to Facility Standards of Conduct and practices the Core Values of Service of the Poor, Reverence, Integrity, Wisdom, Creativity and Dedication. Represents OLP accurately and honestly. Acts with integrity and in the best interest of OLP. Identifies instances of non-compliance and takes appropriate action, including reporting violations of the CRP. Adheres to Facility policy or regulations. Business relationships are conducted in the best interest of OLP, free of gifts, favors or other improper inducements.
- Position Accountabilities and Performance Criteria
- The following are essential job accountabilities:
- 1) The Assistant provides personal care assistance to residents as directed: (bathing, grooming, feeding and toileting). (35%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Demonstrates ability of administering complete/partial resident baths. This would include bath, oral care, dentures, Foley care, hair/nail care, shaving, bedmaking and cleaning of utensils used. Assists in the toileting needs of the residents, records outputs accurately. Empties drainage collection devices and completes documentation of BM Book, toileting scheduling, Rehab and nourishments. Follows facility protocol for admission documentation. Demonstrates skill in the nursing process. HIPAA Competency- Protects resident's privacy by insuring resident charts or items with resident data with protected health information (PHI) are not left unattended or left opened. Demonstrates ability to read, understand and follow individual resident care plans.
- Collaboration Performance Criteria - Maintains harmonious relationship with unit and co-workers, providing support and assistance to co-workers to ensure quality resident care.
- 2) Prepares resident for meals; serves and collects trays, assists in setting up and feeding residents; serves fresh water and nourishments when indicated. (10%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Completes meal assessment sheet and records oral intakes accurately. Utilizes proper lifting and body mechanics to prevent personal injury.
- Collaboration Performance Criteria - Demonstrates attitude of cooperation and professionalism when working in Department.
- Planning/Timeliness Performance Criteria - Organizes work to complete assignments within the required timeframe.
- 3) The Certified Nursing Assistant helps residents with transferring and lifting, raising residents in beds and turning residents. May apply restraints as directed. (10%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Demonstrates ability to apply restraints as directed by nurse following the Facility policy and procedure guidelines. Demonstrates ability to lift, transfer and transport residents in wheelchair, bed or cart, etc. Utilizes appropriate transfer device. Maintains confidentiality of all resident, Facility and/or physician related information. Maintains resident confidentiality and does not discuss resident in public areas, such as cafeteria, hallways, elevators, etc.
- Communications Performance Criteria - Reports problem areas to the Supervisor.
- Collaboration Performance Criteria - Identifies when help is required in providing resident care and seeks it appropriately, recognizing own limitations.
- 4) Obtains temperature on residents whose medical conditions warrants such monitoring. Obtains urine samples, weights, intake/output. (10%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Demonstrates ability to obtain and record resident's temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, intake/output as directed by nurse. Demonstrates the ability to assist with specimen collection (urinalysis, etc.) Recognizes and reports changes in resident conditions to a nurse, demonstrates knowledge of complications and asks appropriate questions to clarify the situation. Conducts job duties in accordance with departmental standards.
- Communications Performance Criteria - Verbal ability to express ideas and views effectively. Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Record Keeping Performance Criteria - Reports accurate results to achieve the best possible resident care.
- 5) Regularly checks on residents insuring comfort, dignity and privacy. (10%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Acts as an advocate of the Patient Bill of Rights and assures resident and family understanding. Demonstrates mission of the Facility by providing quality care, in a personal manner with total regard for individual human dignity. Answers call lights promptly; responds promptly to resident inquiries, reports any abnormal findings or complaints to primary nurse.
- Communications Performance Criteria - Communicates clearly and tactfully with residents and their families.
- Collaboration Performance Criteria - The Certified Nursing Assistant cooperates with other personnel to achieve department objectives and maintains good employee relations, interdepartmental objectives, and infection control policies.
- Resident Relations Performance Criteria - Maintains confidentiality of all resident/staff nursing home information.
- 6) Attends all inservices and meetings as required. (5%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Projects poise, authority, and a positive image. Wears appropriate clothing and accessories, giving proper attention to personal hygiene. Wears Facility ID Badge while on duty. Infection Control Competency: Demonstrates knowledge of and adheres to all infection control procedures including proper hand washing techniques, contact with blood spills and universal precautions. Attends all mandatory inservices. Attends department meetings as required and scheduled. Completes NYS regulation for 6 hours in 6 months.
- Collaboration Performance Criteria - Competency: Participates in drills and demonstrates knowledge of Plan for Department.
- The following duties may be reassigned:
- 7) Cleans each unit as assigned by the Director, including IV poles, ice bucket/ladle, wheelchair/carts. (5%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Assists in the containment of the Facility's costs through conserving of supplies and equipment. Conducts job duties in accordance with departmental standards.
- Planning/Timeliness Performance Criteria - Organizes work to complete job tasks in a timely manner. Responds promptly to change in workload, adjusting assignments to achieve optimal productivity and efficiency. Straightens and cleans utility room/pantry as assigned per unit/shift. Delivers supplies to resident rooms. Completes weekly cleaning assignments as directed. Maintains resident rooms in a neat orderly and clutter free environment. Ensures that closets, drawers, clothing and personal items are labeled.
- 8) Assists in transporting residents to and from the therapy clinic ensuring both safety and comfort. (5%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Complies with established safety precautions at all times. Reviews and adheres to the policy and procedures of not only this department, but all policies and procedures of the Facility.
- Planning/Timeliness Performance Criteria - Ensures timely arrival of resident for therapy appointment.
- 9) Assists in the administration of rehabilitation programs as directed by the Therapist or Assistant, performing nontherapist functions such as following ambulatory residents with a wheelchair, removing a hot pack or returning equipment to appropriate storage. (5%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Displays patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as have the ability to work with residents with varying levels of cognition. Communicates clearly and tactfully with residents and their families and compassionately expressesinterest in resident progress.
- Communications Performance Criteria - Communicates tactfully with other Facility personnel and the general public.
- Collaboration Performance Criteria - Assists in the care and treatment of residents as requested by a supervisor or fellow staff within the scope of a Certified Nurse Assistant. Works harmoniously with professional and nonprofessional personnel.
- 10) Provides direct restorative care and delegated formalized rehabilitation tasks, as assigned, completing work accurately, safely and in a timely manner. (5%)
- Application of Knowledge Performance Criteria - Insures that specific care includes: passive and active ROM, ambulation, special positioning techniques, splints, assistive feeding devices/adaptive equipment, ADL training, bowel and bladder management and restorative dining. Demonstrates attitude of cooperation and professionalism. Promotes positive customer relations and maintains a professional appearance. Wears the proper identification (ID Badge). Reports lack of functioning equipment and lack of adequate supplies to supervisor. May check wheelchairs for good repair. Receives and acts on specific instructions from the nurse and PT/OT initially related to the above mentioned tasks. Receives and acts on specific instruction from nursing on restorative nursing techniques.
- 11) Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- The performance of this function is the reason that the job exists.
- There are limited employees among whom the performance of this function can be distributed.
- This function occupies a great deal of the employee's time.
- This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the skill/ability to perform this.
- Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
- The function was performed by past employees, and is performed by current employees.
- Exposure to bloodborne pathogens that requires use of personal protective equipment.
- Adherence to OSHA's bloodborne pathogen regulations is a condition of employment.
What You Will Need Licenses/Certifications/Registration:
- Required Credential(s):
- Successful completion of a Certified Nurse Aide program and/or NYS Current Certification. Certification must be current and the C.N.A. must be in good standing with the NYS Aide Registry.
- Minimum Education: Grammar School Preferred Education: High School or Equivalent
- Minimum Experience: On the job training provided. Preferred Experience: Six months Nurse Attendant experience in a hospital/skilled facility or equivalent clinical experience asdetermined by the Director of Nursing Services.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension is an EEO/AA employer: M/F/Disabled/Vet. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)