We Are Hiring
Respiratory Therapist - Respiratory Care
Part-Time,Evening: 2p - 10:30p, every other weekend
Ascension Genesys HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to provide respiratory therapy as ordered by physician according to established hospital procedures and standards including: assessing patient's respiratory status, recommending interventions and evaluating effectiveness of treatment modalities. Provides respiratory care to pediatric, adult and geriatric patient populations. Works with physician and nursing staff as part of an interdisciplinary team to promote the rehabilitation of the patient's respiratory capabilities. Demonstrates knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to provide care to the age group(s) served.
- 1. Assesses patient cardiopulmonary status regularly. Utilizes assessment parameters and techniques as indicated by patient population (adult, pediatric, geriatric).
- 2. Reviews and interprets physician orders and patient data to establish respiratory treatment plans.
- 3. Collaborates with physicians and nurses regarding the recommendations and administration of various respiratory therapy modalities.
- 4. Implements treatment plans by performing the following modalities: SVN, IPPB, CPT, USN, specimen collection and IS according to the procedure.
- 5. Administers various oxygen delivery devices: nasal cannula, venturi mask, simple oxygen mask, partial and non-rebreathing masks, aerosol and tracheostomy mask, T pieces, oxygen tents and hoods according to procedure.
- 6. Performs diagnostic procedures such as blood gas sampling, analysis and interpretation; bronchoscopy; polysomnographic studies; pulmonary function studies according to work assignment and established protocols.
- 7. Prepares and administers inhalant medications and observes patient for adverse reactions.
- 8. Assesses and evaluates patient tolerance, responses, and progress to ordered treatment modalities and documents in appropriate records. Recognizes changes in patient conditions and notifies nurse, physician and/or supervisors as necessary.
- 9. Conducts educational services for patient, families, therapist, nursing staff, respiratory therapy students and department personnel regarding respiratory therapy procedures and new developments in the field.
- 10. Assists in training of respiratory students from affiliated colleges, functions as an available resource for Respiratory Care Technicians.
- 11. Responds to "CODES" and emergency situations by establishing and maintaining airways, performing manual ventilation, cardiac compressions, blood gas determinations and sampling, and implementing mechanical ventilation as necessary.
- 12. Assembles, monitors, and trouble shoots pulse oximeters.
- 13. Assembles, implements as well as assesses and evaluates patients on all types of mechanical ventilation. Maintains the patient's airway; suctions and performs airway care; insures ventilator is delivering ordered parameters. Collaborates with physicians regarding recommended changes in ventilator management. Weans patient from mechanical ventilation.
- 14. Implements, monitors, and evaluates CPAP/BIPAP mask units according to procedures.
- 15. Maintains, cleans, tests, and trouble shoots equipment including mechanical ventilators to insure proper functioning.
- 16. Calibrates, maintains, cleans and performs quality control checks on blood gas analysis equipment.
- 17. Maintains knowledge of current trends and techniques in the field through department meetings, educational programs and current literature pertaining to respiratory therapy.
- 18. Performs other related duties as indicated and directed.
- Essential Functions: 1) Must possess interpersonal skills, including telephone and written skills, to communicate effectively with patients, physicians and staff when exchanging information; 2) Must possess critical thinking and analytic skills necessary to identify patient problems including hemo-dynamic monitoring skills, interpreting blood gas reports, trouble shooting ventilators, oximeters, blood gas analyzers, and other various respiratory therapy equipment; 3) Must have ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when preparing medications and treatments, initiating therapeutic modalities and monitoring patient responses; 4) Must possess fine motor skills to work with sensitive technical equipment; 5) Must be able to walk and stand for long periods of time; must also be able to lift, push and/or pull patients or equipment when necessary; 6) Must possess auditory and visual ability to identify alarm systems.
- Working Conditions: 1) Patient care environment with minimal exposure to noise, dust, and temperature variations; 2) Frequent exposures to infections and/or contagious diseases, blood and body fluids when handling patients or samples; 3) Exposure to hazards from flammable and explosive gasses and electrical equipment; hazards are greatly reduced when established safety procedures are followed.
- Orientation Requirements: Must attend Medical Center new hire orientation and department orientation.
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision. The most recently dated job description on file in the Human Resources Department will be considered the official job description.
PT Evening, 2 pm - 10:30 pm, and every other weekend
What You Will Need Licenses/Certifications/Registration:
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified Certification specializing in Neonatal Resuscitation credentialed from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) obtained within 12 Months (1 year) of hire date or job transfer date. If associate accepts a Special Care Nursery position, NRP certification will be required
- Registered Respiratory Therapist credentialed from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) obtained within 6 Months (180 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Licensed Respiratory Therapist credentialed from the Michigan Board of Respiratory Care obtained within 3 Months (90 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- One or more of the following:
- Certified BLS Provider specializing in Basic Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 1 Month (30 days) of hire date or job transfer date. Or Certified Instructor.
- Requires graduate of an accredited program Respiratory Therapy
- Respiratory experience preferred, not required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Genesys Health System will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.