We Are Hiring
Nursing Assistant - Med Surg 2S - Part-Time,Evening - HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to facilitate the provision of patient care by performing basic, age appropriate nursing care to patients under the direct supervision of a registered nurse. Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide care for the age group(s) served.
- 1. Interpersonal skills/teamwork. Demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness to facilitate unit functioning. Standards of Performance: a.Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills. b. Demonstrates willingness to assist when asked. c. Demonstrates flexibility in responding to patient/unit needs. d. Knowledge of and adheres to patients rights. e. Demonstrates compassion, concern, and respect to patients. f. Respects and maintains patient confidentiality.
- 2. Productivity/Professional Behavior. Is a productive/professional member of a health care team. Standards of Performance: a. Shows independence by completing duties with appropriate supervision. b. Utilizes time in an efficient manner, completing daily activities in a timely and organized fashion. c. Shows initiative in seeking out appropriate additional duties. d. Presents self in a manner that promotes a positive image. e. Communicates identifies unit problems following appropriate chain of command and actively participates in the problem solving process. f. Works effectively with others. g. Attends 75% of department meetings and attends in-services regularly. h. Performs other related duties as requested and as directed.
- 3. Patient Care Skills. Assists the RN/LPN with functions to promote, restore, and maintain optimum patient health. Standards of Performance: a. Participates in the creation and maintenance of a healthy work environment by: i. Accepting professional direction and leadership of the RN ii. Communication with RN, the progress of work assignment, problems encountered, or work completed. b. Performs patient hygiene activities, i.e. bathing, foot care, shaving, hair care, etc. c. Assists with patient mobility activitiespatient ambulation, transfers to chair, etc. d. Assists with transfer of patients from bed to stretcher/stretcher to bed. e. Assists with keeping patients clean, dry, and regularly turned to prevent skin breakdown. f. Performs non-sterile treatments. g. Assists monitoring and reporting of patient pain levels. Assists patients to achieve optimum comfort levels, i.e., repositioning. h. Ensures supplies are immediately available by retrieving and returning equipment per procedure. i. Performs other related duties as requested and directed.
- 4. Patient Care Skills. Assists RN/LPN with inpatient and outpatient monitoring activities. Standards of Performance: a. Obtains patient related information and reports and documents per policy and procedure (to include vital signs, basic patient care, and valuables). b. Observes and reports patient elimination patterns. Empties foley bags and records output. c. Completes I&O records. d. Obtains and records patient weights. e. Assists with preparation of patient for surgery and special procedures. f. Collects non-sterile specimens. g. Recognizes and reports abnormal or unusual situations on a timely basis, i.e. pain, respiratory distress, skin temperature or color changes, skin pressure areas, etc. h. Utilizes computer entry as directed. i. Per policy, observe patients in restraints for comfort and safety. Ensures that restraint is not restrictive to extremities. Offer food, fluid, and toileting opportunities per policy.
- 5 Dietary-Assists patients with meals, snacks; a)Prepares patient for meal service; b)Assists patients with menu selection, meal service as needed; c)Collects soiled trays from patients in timely manner, takes trays to soiled utility room as needed; d)Delivers snacks to patient as requested; e)Records patient food intake; f)Communicates patient eating problems to appropriate personnel; g)Orders non-food & food items; h)Performs other related dietary duties as assigned
- 6 Transportation-Transports patients in safe, efficient, timely manner; a) Uses proper transfer techniques when moving patients; b) Observes patient condition, notifies appropriate personnel of changes in status
- 7 Safety-Maintains safe environment for patients, co-workers; a)Recognizes unsafe conditions, takes action or reports conditions to supervisor immediately; b) Uses Universal Precautions to protect patients, self from infection, c)Demonstrates awareness of, concern for patient safety; d)Closely observes patients at risk for fall or injury, follows all related practice guidelines; e)Reports, turns in broken or damaged equipment immediately; f)Operates all mechanical and electrical equipment in safe, conscientious manner at all times; g)Uses correct techniques to dispose of biomedical waste materials; h)Practices proper body mechanics in daily work activities
- 8 Quality Improvement--Participates in quality assessment/quality improvement (QI) activities; a)Includes safety, universal precautions, other activities as assigned; b)Completes QI data collection activities as requested; c)Participates in implementing corrective action plans for improvement; d) Utilizes cost containment measures in daily practice; e)Participates in developing corrective action plans for improvement
- 9 Environmental Services--Performs limited housekeeping activities in select areas (MPU) as needed
- 10 Compliance--Complies with department, Medical Center policies & procedures, standards, rules of conduct; complies with absenteeism & tardiness policies
- Essential Functions: 1)Mobility to move from room to room, between dept and to rapidly initiate, complete patient care evacuation procedures, ability to move standard patient care equipment, supplies; ability to lift, move, support, transfer, assist patients; includes but not limited to utilizing transfer techniques such as standing pivot, sliding board, 2&3 person lifts, sheet assists; 2)Manual dexterity to perform patient treatments, manipulate tools, instruments, commonly used equipment; 3)Organizational skills as well as observation, problem solving, collecting patient data, identifying, responding to unusual or abnormal situations; 4) Interpersonal and written communication skills necessary to communicate effectively with patients, families, staff, physicians; 5)Ability to walk, stoop, reach to carry out routine cleaning functions; 6)Ability to push, pull carts weighing several hundred pounds; 7)Ability to climb, work from ladders
- Working Conditions: Setting is generally a clinical nursing unit; work requires prolonged standing, working, lifting; may be exposed to patient illness, communicable diseases, blood hazards, hazardous chemicals; duties must be completed regardless of frequent interruptions
- Orientation Requirements: Must attend new employee & department orientations.
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision. The most recently dated job description on file in the Human Resources Department will be considered the official job description.
Nursing Assistant / Med Surg 2S / PT Evenings, 11 AM - 11:30 PM M-F QOWE SS
What You Will Need Licenses/Certifications/Registration:
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified BLS Provider specializing in Basic Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 3 Months (90 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Current Michigan certification as a Nurse Aide is required at hire or must be obtained prior to hire. It is not required for Nursing Assistants to maintain certification after hire while actively working in the Nursing Assistant role. Certification is not required for internal transferees; renewal is not required.
- HS or Equivalent
- High School diploma or equivalent from an accredited program required
- Some experience preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Genesys Health System will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.