We Are Hiring
Laboratory Technician - General Lab Anc
Full-Time Night (8% shift differential): 10p - 6:30a, Sunday - Saturday, rotating weekends
Ascension Genesys HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to, under supervision of a Medical Technologist and according to established policies and procedures, perform, analyze, interpret and report laboratory assays for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Report tests as necessary, especially those including abnormal results, to appropriate personnel. Maintain equipment to ensure its proper functioning. Perform quality control procedures and keep current in medical technology developments. Perform other related duties as requested by authorized personnel.
- 1. Operate instruments within the scope of training, utilizing established protocols and quality control checks. Recognize equipment malfunctions and notify appropriate supervisory personnel when they occur.
- 2. Perform tests, procedures, and quality control as ordered following outlines in procedure manuals. Recognize factors that affect measurements and results and take appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Document corrective action.
- 3. Communicate information such as test results, normal ranges, and specimen requirements to authorized sources. Recognize abnormal results and refer them to designated supervisory personnel.
- 4. Operate hospital and laboratory computer system.
- 5. Process work to reference laboratories.
- 6. Attend in-services and meetings as required.
- 7. Perform other duties as directed/required.
- Essential Functions:
- 1. Possess interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with physicians, patients, visitors, and other health care workers in person, by phone, or in writing.
- 2. Maintains all required records. Operates hospital and laboratory computer systems.
- 3. Exhibits a high degree of manual dexterity. Interprets reactions, including color reactions.
- 4. Wears gloves and uses protective equipment including gowns and masks.
- 5. Follows all hospital, state and federal regulations and policies.
- 6. Performs work in a timely fashion to meet CAP workload standards.
- Working Conditions:
- Can be stressful. Exposed to danger of infection from disease-bearing specimens and odorous chemicals and specimens. May be exposed to low-level radiation. Occasional prolonged standing and walking. May be exposed to electrical hazards. Work setting is hospital-wide.
- Orientation Requirements:
- 1. Must attend Medical Center new hire orientation.
- 2. Laboratory orientation as well as modified Medical Technologist checklist.
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision. The most recently dated job description on file in the Human Resources Department will be considered the official job description.
What You Will Need Licenses/Certifications/Registration:
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Certified Medical Laboratory Tech credentialed from the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC).
- Associate Degree
- Associates Degree in Medical Technology or related science from an accredited school preferred
- Laboratory Technician experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Genesys Health System will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.