We Are Hiring
President - Administration 001 - Full-Time,Day - WFMG-Elmbrook Memorial Mob - Brookfield,WI, Multi Site
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension Wisconsin operates 24 hospital campuses and more than 100 related healthcare facilities from Racine to Eagle River. Ascension Wisconsin employs more than 1,300 primary and specialty care clinicians. Ascension Wisconsin is a faith-based healthcare organization that has been serving the state since 1848. In FY2018, Ascension Wisconsin provided more than $292 million in community benefit, including care of persons living in poverty.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
The President has the shared responsibility and accountability for sustaining the vitality of the Mission, Vision and Values of Ascension Wisconsin’s, Elmbrook, Wauwatosa, and St. Joseph Campuses and Ascension through the effective and efficient operation of the local health ministry in Wisconsin. Accountable to the hospital Board of Directors and the Ascension Wisconsin Chief Operating Officer, the incumbent will be required to successfully execute the duties in the manner outlined below.
- Expanding and integrating mission and ministry throughout the hospital by developing methods and practices that bring life to our mission in all hospital affairs and by championing work place spirituality by designing initiatives that promote and sustain spirituality at work.
- Strategically positioning the hospital at the forefront among responsible, progressive providers of healthcare services through the development of a strategic and operating plan that addresses identified needs and opportunities and integrates mission, business and finance considerations.
- Working collaboratively with Board Chair and participating with the Board in charting the course and shaping the strategic and operational direction the hospital must take in response to developing health needs of the community. Ensuring transparency in setting clear expectations and commitments between governance and operations.
- Maintaining effective relationships with medical staff leadership and members of the medical staff at-large to build mutual confidence, respect and trust by providing physicians with opportunities for input into key organizational decisions and strategies, by linking physicians with the strategic direction of the system, by soliciting the concerns of the medical staff and taking action to address those concerns and by developing joint strategies between administration and the medical staff.
- Directing the operations of the hospital in a manner consistent with policies established by Ascension Wisconsin by implementing the hospital’s strategic plan and budget, by developing and directing cost-efficient, high quality clinical programs and services and by effectively organizing and directing the organization’s resources.
- Maintaining effective relationships and partnerships with potential strategic partners, boards, board committees, the nursing staff, hospital associates, Ascension Wisconsin system executives and officers of Ascension.
- Providing executive leadership in evaluating the performance of the hospital, including the quality and appropriateness of patient care services, in relationship to appropriate sponsorship criteria, organizational goals and policies.
- Leading, guiding and directing the efforts of senior-level executives by delegating authority and accountability to executive - level leaders, by developing executive performance plans, by coaching ongoing executive performance and assessing appropriate rewards/consequences for executive performance outcomes by establishing effective two-way communication systems with executives and by developing performance improvement plans to correct executive performance deficiencies.
- Ensuring the development of sound plans, programs and reporting structures for quality management, risk management and utilization management.
- Directing the fundraising activities of the hospitals to advance the delivery of health care along the health care continuum throughout.
- Strategically directing and facilitating organizational communications, both internal and external, articulating the philosophy, mission and values of Ascension to the community served by the hospital.
- Working collaboratively with Ascension Wisconsin system executives to develop strategies that support the integration of system operational and process improvements and that enhance a fully integrated system operating model. Partnering to enhance the “whole” operationally versus the accountable part.
What You Will Need
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum of Master’s degree in health or hospital administration, business administration, or a related field including a doctoral degree; a minimum of 10 years of administrative experience in health-related organizations at progressively more responsible management levels.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
A strong commitment to the mission of Catholic healthcare and a personal and professional presence to provide moral and spiritual leadership on behalf of the hospitals and Ascension Wisconsin; a values-driven leadership style which is guided in thinking, in acting, and stewardship by sensitivity to the mission values of Ascension.
The ability to lead, manage and contribute in the context of an increasingly multidimensional regional health system; a leadership style which 1) reflects strong operational skills and financial acumen; 2) is highly collaborative and flexible; 3) is able to contribute in a complex, matrix management environment as both a teammate and a leader; 4) is associated with a “back to basics” approach to managing a complex organization, and 5) demonstrates a comfort level with appropriate risk taking.
Demonstrated physician relationship building skills; a commitment to and a demonstrated track record in developing creative physician alignment strategies, accompanied by the credibility, communication skills, negotiating ability, political acumen, integrity, personal demeanor, and knowledge base to reach out and forge collaborative relationships with the hospital’s medical staff.
A demonstrated track record of codifying service improvement efforts and progress as evidenced in the community, with the medical staff and the workforce.
A highly effective communicator who will make communications a top priority within the organization. The president will be a responsive, relational, interactive, and accountable leader who will recognize the importance of building consensus and providing leadership on the basis of credibility, influence, respect, and listening skills.
An appreciation of the challenges and the opportunities associated with delivering comprehensive tertiary services within the context of a multi-site and growing regional health system.
A management style which communicates a sense of quality, equality, and inclusiveness; a sensitivity to the issue of diversity and the commitment to developing a mindset and a culture within the hospital which reflects the value of difference.
A demonstrated track record in developing clinical programs and services to enhance employee and patient satisfaction, including the development of measurement systems to monitor change over time.
A skilled change agent with sensitivity to the interpersonal, organizational, political, perceptual, fiscal, and environmental issues which invariably accompany an organizational change process.
In all of the above, a professional and personal presence which is driven by values, honesty, integrity, and the ability to inspire and promote the philosophy, mission, goals, and values of Ascension Wisconsin.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against employees or prospective employees on basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, disability, arrest and/or conviction record, military status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by law.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement