We Are Hiring
Phlebotomist Laboratory Assistant - General Lab Anc
Part-Time,Night (8% shift differential): 10p - 6:30a, Sunday Thru Saturday, rotating weekends
Ascension Genesys HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to, under direct supervision, performs a variety of service duties such as: drawing blood and collecting specimens from patients, processing blood samples for tests; performing prescribed tests; functioning as a receptionist; receiving specimens from the pneumatic tube into the laboratory computer system; assisting in Microbiology set up functions; assisting in paperwork processing throughout the laboratory. Maintains a clean, orderly and safe facility. Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide care to the age group (s) serviced. Performs other related duties as requested by authorized personnel.
- 1. Obtains blood specimens from patients by venipuncture, or by finger prick.
- 2. Confirms patient identification prior to obtaining specimens and labels specimens accordingly.
- 3. Explains procedures to patients and allays apprehensions prior to obtaining specimens.
- 4. Monitors computer equipment to ensure it is operating properly and loads printer with paper as required. Notifies supervisor of equipment problems.
- 5. Performs other tests, such as bleeding time, and prepares special slides as requested.
- 6. Must be able to operate a company owned vehicle to pick up laboratory specimens and deliver results.
- 7. Must be able to conduct patient home draws.
- 8. Collect insurance information on every patient to determine appropriate testing laboratory.
- 9. Maintain laboratory supplies
- 10. Provide laboratory report to outreach clients.
- 11. Perform and prepare esoteric testing at some locations.
- 12. Responsible for securing the draw station in some areas.
- Essential Functions: 1) Must possess and demonstrate the necessary discretion in dealing with confidential information,communication skills, initiative, tact, diplomacy and dependability to perform all duties of position; 2) Must have ability to establish and maintain rapport with patients, employees, supervisors,contacts external to the Hospital; 3) Must be physically and mentally capable of performing all duties of position; must be neat in personal appearance
- Working Conditions: Exposed to danger of infection from disease-bearing specimens; prolonged standing and walking; maybe exposed to electrical hazards; can be stressful due to multiple calls, patients to process and difficulties locating personnel; sedentary work requiring concentrated work with computers; work setting is hospital-wide
- Orientation Requirements: Must attend Medical Center new hire and department orientations
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision. The most recently dated job description on file in the Human Resources Department will be considered the official job description.
What You Will Need Education:
- HS or Equivalent
- High School diploma or equivalent from an accredited program required
- Requires 6 or more months of current phlebotomy experience; must he able to read, write, and follow verbal/written instructions in English
Equal Employment Opportunity
Genesys Health System will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.