We Are Hiring
EKG / Stress Technician - Diagnostic Cardiology Anc 001 - Part-Time,Day - HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
SCHEDULE: PT Day, 12 hour shift, 7:00am-7:30pm, Alternating Weekends
** BENEFITS ELIGIBLE PT POSITION
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to, under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, supervise cardiovascular stress tests for individuals with and without chronic disease in order to obtain reliable and valid data. Data will be summarized and reported to include pertinent patient information to assist the reading physician in clinical decision making. Additional responsibilities include performing electrocardiograms (EKGs), Holter and event monitoring, and other duties as requested by authorized personnel.
- 1. Confer with patients and/or family members in order to gather pertinent patient information including history of heart problems, current medications, etc., and document same in patient's chart.
- 2. Explain diagnostic procedures and answer any questions that the patient and/or family may have to allay fears, anxieties and elicit cooperation.
- 3. Instruct and assist patients in preparation for EKG stress test. This includes assisting the patient to assume the appropriate position for applying the heart monitor device or applying electrodes for stress testing and EKG.
- 4. Perform and edit EKGs, supervise exercise stress tests, and assist in the supervision of pharmacologic stress tests according to policy.
- 5. Apply heart monitor ensuring device is properly secured and functioning in order to produce recording of heart activity over an extended period of time.
- 6. Record appropriate data during treadmill stress test including electrocardiographic changes, blood pressure and patient condition.
- 7. According to physician's orders, removes heart monitor device and analyzes recording to identify heart patterns and potential cardiac pathology. Route results to physicians to alert them of any significant abnormal heart patterns.
- 8. Route stress test data including electrocardiographic recording, to physicians for interpretation
- 9. Maintain all equipment in clean and proper working order and replenish supplies as necessary. Perform minor repairs as necessary and notify supervisor of serious malfunctions.
- 10. Perform miscellaneous clerical duties including answering telephones, filing records, preparing patient charges, etc.
- 11. Maintain knowledge of current trends and techniques in the field by reading appropriate journals, books, and other literature. Attend related seminars and conferences when available.
- 12. Perform other related duties as requested by authorized personnel.
- Essential Functions:
- 1. Ability to read and write in order to obtain and record pertinent patient information and understand technical manuals.
- 2. Ability to perform non-complex arithmetic calculations for test results.
- 3. Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate effectively with patients and/or family members, fellow workers and physicians.
- 4. Analytical skills necessary in order to review EKG data, identify cardiac pathology and irregular heart patterns.
- 5. Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail.
- 6. Ability to walk and stand for approximately 30% of the work day.
- 7. Ability to carry weights of under ten (10) pounds for approximately 20% of the work time when calibrating and repairing equipment and fitting patients for devices.
- 8. Ability to push EKG machine to patient rooms to obtain EKGs.
- Working Conditions:
- Normal EKG laboratory and patient care environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust and temperature. Infrequent (less than 10% of work time) exposure to infection and/or contagious disease when administering tests to patients.
- Orientation Requirements:
- Must attend Medical Center new hire orientation and department orientation.
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision. The most recently dated job description on file in the Human Resources Department will be considered the official job description.
What You Will Need Licenses/Certifications/Registration:
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified BLS Provider specializing in Basic Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 3 Months (90 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Certified Advanced Life Support specializing in Advanced Cardio Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA).
- Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist specializing in Rehabilitation credentialed from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
- Bachelor's Level Degree
- Bachelor's level degree in Exercise Science or Physiology preferred
- Completion of internship (1 semester) in exercise physiology/science required. 1-2 years experience in cardiac stress testing preferred. Must be able to pass a rhythm strip test during interview.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Genesys Health System will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.