This job posting is no longer active.
We Are Hiring
Therapist-Bachelor Level - Counseling Detox Rehab - Part-Time Day 20 Hours Weekly - BrightonCenterForRecover-34003 - Brighton, MI
Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Counseling or Psychology. Must have CADC or verify development plan within 90 days of hire. Monday - Friday Day Shift (20 hours per week).
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension-MI, you will have the opportunity to, with the guidance of a fully licensed Master Level Therapist, gather information about patients using case histories, observations and assessments. Develop a treatment plan as well as an aftercare plan best suited for them. Facilitate and lead group and didactic sessions. Manage caseload and documentation.
- Using ASAM Patient Placement Criteria for the Treatment of Substance-Related Disorders, Second Edition and DSM-IV®-TR, be prepared in team conference to discuss recommendations for the patient's next level of care.
- Identify co-existing conditions (such as medical or psychiatric) that indicate the need for additional services within Brighton Hospital or as a referral during aftercare planning.
- Develop initial treatment plans, formulating e-goals using time-specific, measurable and behavioral terms.
- Individualize therapy in accordance with culture, gender and lifestyle.
- Complete the bio-psycho-social history. Determine client's appropriateness for treatment at Brighton Hospital or to recommend a more appropriate placement.
- Review documentation completed by phone intake personnel. Use this as corroborative information for the bio-psycho-social.
- Provide overview of program operations to patient. For example, explain the patient's obligation in his/her own treatment process, program goals and objectives, etc.
- Be familiar with all program rules and reinforce when necessary.
- Review the assessment data gathered during the patient's admission process.
- Explain the level of care to the patient in a manner understandable to him/her.
- Obtain corroborative information from secondary sources such as family members, EAP, etc. when necessary.
- Use individual sessions to assist patient in exploring problems and ramifications, attitudes and feelings. Elicit solutions from patient.
- Interact with patient in an appropriate therapeutic manner in accordance with agency policy and ethical standards of one's own discipline.
- When necessary, coordinate services for client care. These services can include EAP, aftercare planning, psychiatrist, etc. Explain the rationale for each of these case management activities to the patient.
- Recognize the elements of a client crisis and implement an immediate course of action as appropriate in coordination with other members of the treatment team.
- Conduct educational lectures presenting relevant information to patients regarding chemical dependency and recovery.
- Present patients with information about resources available within Brighton Hospital and in his/her home community (such as self-help support groups, psychiatric help, medical care, etc.).
- Identify areas of patient's needs and/or problems that cannot be met while at Brighton Hospital. Match the patient needs to appropriate resources. Assist the patient in utilizing those resources if necessary.
- Prepare relevant reports and relevant records in a timely manner consistent with all policies and procedures and following the guidelines required for reimbursement, licensing accreditation and tracking of clinical treatment.
- If necessary, consult with outside resources to ensure the provision of effective treatment services. Explain the rational for the consultation to the patient.
- In the Halfway House environment, monitors residents in the self-administration of prescribed medications and ensures medications are kept properly secured.
- Provide orientation and/or training to new personnel as requested.
- Maintain a current level of knowledge regarding the field by attending required staff meetings, in-services and reading relevant professional journals.
- Conduct reviews of fellow employees performance as requested by leadership.
- Present a professional image and supportive atmosphere.
- Communicate with respect and understanding of cultural, gender and lifestyle differences.
- Take initiative and do what it takes to satisfy customers.
- Attend to the needs and expectations of customers by ensuring prompt attention and follow-through.
- Consistently perform job duties accurately and timely (even during peak times).
- Utilize materials and resources in a cost-conscious manner.
- Seek opportunities for improving processes.
- Move and adapt to key changes quickly.
- Display behavior supportive to organizational change.
- Accept adjustments and direction.
- Collaborate with others inside and outside of the department.
- Keep team members informed.
- Assist and support others and willingly take on additional duties.
- Effectively communicate and listen to others.
- Invite feedback on own performance.
- Meet commitments and deadlines.
- Assist team to achieve outcomes.
- Demonstrate active listening. Maintain body language and tone consistent with verbal message.
- Use tact and sensitivity when interacting with internal and external customers.
- Efficiently balance multiple tasks.
- Manage projects and duties effectively.
- Complete work in a timely and organized manner.
- Complete high volume work without compromising quality.
- Produce expected outcomes.
- Comply with all applicable laws, regulations and agency policies governing alcohol and other drug abuse services.
- Obtain appropriately signed consents when soliciting from or providing information to outside sources.
- Act courteously toward patients, visitors, co-workers and others and respond in a timely manner to their needs.
- Demonstrate safe work practices and attitudes, follow safety rules, work to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participate in organizational and departmental safety programs.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- In depth knowledge of the disease concept and 12-Step philosophy.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with employees and the general public, and to maintain confidentiality in daily operations, to conduct daily duties in a professional appearance and manner.
- Must have the physical ability, with or without accommodation, to finger, grasp, kneel, lift up to 20 pounds, pull, push, reach and conduct repetitive movements.
- Ability to navigate several flights of stairs multiple times during the day.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Basic Life Support Provider certification from the American Heart Association (AHA) required within 120 days of hire/transfer date.
- Must be certified or obtain CPI certification within 120 days of employment and maintain current certification thereafter required.
- CADC or willing to become certified within 90 days of eligibility to sit for exam. At time of placement into position, time frame for which CADC must be obtained will be discussed based on associate's education level, past experience and standard hours.
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, social work or psychology or Bachelor's degree with course work, work experience or volunteer work in a behavioral health setting required.
- 3 months of work experience in human services activity required. Work experience in chemical dependency and/or behavioral health counseling preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension Michigan participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)