We Are Hiring
Surgical Technologist - Surgery 001 - Full-Time,Day - HealthPark - Grand Blanc,MI
SCHEDULE: FT Day - Saturdays and Sundays 7am-7:30pm, Mondays and Tuesdays 7am-3:30pm
Off Weds., Thurs., Fri. And NO CALL
Why Join Ascension?
As the leading healthcare provider in mid-Michigan, Genesys has been improving our community's health for more than 95 years, and part of Ascension since 1999. As a group of affiliated medical campuses, outpatient centers, primary care locations including a network of 160 primary care physicians and ancillary healthcare organizations, we share a philosophy of providing personalized care to every person we serve.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
Our Surgery teams are skilled in a full range of surgery procedures and we offer the latest in Surgical Technology. As a Surgical Technologist at Genesys, you will gain experience in a wide variety of specialty areas and enjoy participating in diverse cases.
As an Associate with Ascension Genesys Hospital, you will have the opportunity to provide technical services and assist professional nursing staff and physicians in providing patient care as assigned and directed in all types of operations. Work in accordance with established standards of performance and the philosophy and objectives of the nursing department. Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide care to age group(s) served. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- 1. Complies with established standards and maintains department, unit, hospital policies and procedures including such things as: Quality assurance, safety, and infection control. Maintains a clean, orderly, safe environment for patients and staff. Cleans, dusts, and organizes cupboards, shelves, and equipment.
- 2. Communicates and cooperates with others to achieve departmental objectives. Maintains patient rights and confidentiality of patient information.
- 3. Attends required meetings, in-services, educational programs, continuing education, and self development programs to stay abreast of current trends and demonstrates the ability to understand and perform procedures.
- 4. Scrubs and sets up operating rooms with all necessary instruments/supplies in accordance with department policy and surgeon preferences and routines. Initials and updates doctor specific preference cards. Observes aseptic technique. Prepares and assists with surgical procedures. Cleans, decontaminates, wraps, and sterilize equipment and instruments. Performs preps in nursing units as necessary (i.e. sterile preps, bone preps, shaving etc.). Assist in the transportation of patients. Assists scrub or circulating nurse as directed.
- 5. Drapes patient, prepares operative site with germicides and holds retractors as requested.
- 6. Sutures subcutaneously, utilizes electric cautery, ties sutures utilizing one and two handed techniques. Performs simple clamping, retracting, and suctioning,
- 7. Explains and demonstrates techniques and methods used in the operating suite to new staff.
- 8. Maintains inventory, preserves and labels operative specimens, smears, cultures, and transports to laboratory for analysis.
- 9. Assists employees in performing housekeeping tasks to clean the rooms following surgery (i.e. emptying hamper bags, taking care of soiled linen, and waste materials, etc.).
- 10. Keeps supplies and equipment organizes and assures all unused equipment and supplies are put in the proper storage area.
- 11. Works with peri-op team to provide total care and has operating knowledge of equipment and instruments needed for all surgical procedures.
- 12. Demonstrates competency in all specialty areas and routinely rotates through all services.
- 13. Assists OR R.N.'s in coordinating supplies and/or operation of equipment off the field
- 14. Keeps supplies and equipment organized. Maintains, stores, and locates adequate supplies in OR, surgical suits and supply rooms. Sets up, runs, and monitors equipment to insure proper operation; notifies supervisor or designee of equipment needing repair.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1) Must possess interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively when working withphysicians, staff and patients; 2) Regular walking and the ability to stand for long periods of time; 3) Ability to lift and move patients and perform repetitive physical activity
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Setting is a surgical suite; May be exposed to patient illness, communicable diseases, blood hazards and hazardous chemicals
- ORIENTATION REQUIREMENTS: Must attend new employee and department orientations
- The above is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification; it is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or qualifications for the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify in any way, the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision; the most recently dated job description on file in Human Resources will be considered the official job description
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Certified BLS Provider specializing in Basic Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 6 Months (180 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Certified Surgical Assistant credentialed from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- Some College - 2 Years
- Completion of a recognized scrub technician college program preferred or Or minimum of two (2) years experience as a Surgical Technician, or minimum of one (1) year experience working as a Certified Surgical Technician.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Genesys Health System will provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all associates and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, genetic information, carrier status or any other legally protected status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.