We Are Hiring
Plant Engineer - Plant Operations 001 - Full-Time, Rotating - Ascension Providence Hospital - BU 34014 - Southfield, MI
Day/Evening rotating schedule including weekends
This is a collective bargaining agreement union position
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Michigan, you will have the opportunity to operate and maintain all equipment in the hospital's power plant, and related equipment throughout its buildings and grounds. Assign work to and oversee the work of boiler operators and assigned maintenance mechanics.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the organizations core values through active involvement in the quality improvement process.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental safety programs.
- Operates and maintains boilers and auxiliary equipment, fan-coil units, diesel emergency generators, air compressors, electric pumps, air conditioning equipment, electrical switch gear, and all related equipment which provide utilities such as light, heat, water, and power for refrigeration, air conditioning, and other services in the hospital.
- Assigns and oversees the work of boiler operators and maintenance mechanics. Trains employees in the safe operation and maintenance of all power plant equipment.
- Inspects all equipment in the plant and in the fan rooms, and observes and records operating measures from meters and gauges to insure that equipment is operating properly and at maximum efficiency.
- Ensures that all observations, and operating and maintenance activities are recorded in the daily logs.
- Performs all emergency maintenance and repair to power plant equipment. Requests additional assistance from maintenance mechanics or skilled trades personnel, and assigns and oversees repair work.
- Assists with minor repairs to machines, equipment, and systems normally attended to by the maintenance unit of the department. May repair such things as pneumatic tube systems, air compressors, and Laundry equipment.
- Operates and repairs all pumping systems in the hospitals buildings and grounds such as for domestic water supply, fire mains, Laundry hot water, water softeners, and hot water heating systems.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies and orders all supplies required for the power plant.
- Changes and adjusts equipment to conditions of electrical load, weather, humidity, and severe storms to ensure maximum operating effectiveness.
- Operates the fire pump in the case of fire or emergency, shutting down all ventilating equipment to prevent spread of smoke throughout the buildings, and to activate the sprinkler and fire hose system. Prepares incident reports on all fires and other incidents, as required.
- Calls in snow removal contractors as needed. Performs snow removal duties and spreads salt on hospital driveways, entrances and walkways as needed.
- Performs preventive maintenance program as assigned.
- Controls fan temperature using Siemens Energy Management System. Resets fire system alarms using Simplex Fire Alarm Computer.
- Performs all other duties and projects as assigned.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills consistent with mission and values.
- Demonstrates interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of personal computers and various software applications.
- Demonstrates ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail while performing tasks.
- Demonstrates ability to read, write and understand written and verbal communications.
- Demonstrates ability to perform basic math functions including addition, subtraction and multiplication.
- Demonstrates ability to walk and stand approximately 90% of work time, often lifting and positioning equipment and devices up to 60 lbs.
- Ability to demonstrate friendly, courteous, professional customer service behaviors and provide service recovery in an accommodating manner consistently.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- Second Class Steam Stationary Engineer license required. Licensure by the City of Detroit preferred.
- High School graduate or equivalent required
- Two years experience at a heating or power plant required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: [email protected]
. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension Michigan participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)