We Are Hiring
Nursing Assistant - Oncology Unit 001 - Full-Time, Night - Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Madison Heights Campus - 34031 - Madison Heights, MI
3 days a week- 7pm-7:30am, twelve hour shifts, rotating weekends and holidays
This is a collective bargaining agreement union position
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2018, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
What You Will Do
As an Associate with Ascension Michigan, you will have the opportunity to, under the direct supervision of Registered Nurse, and according to established policies and procedures, assist nursing staff in providing basic patient care services to facilitate the overall care of the patient. Assist with unit operations by performing various duties.
- Obtains and records vital signs (temperature, pulse, pulse oximetry, respiration, pain score, and blood pressure (automatic and manual), heights, weights, fluid intake and output, as appropriate. Recognizes and notifies assigned RN of patient changes or irregularities.
- Documents patient information, patient care tasks, and clinical data accurately, clearly, and concisely in patient care record/computer. Responsible for carrying Spectra-link phone, as assigned.
- Participates in the team approach to patient care. Provides basic direct patient care services for patients, including but not limited to assisting with baths, providing preventative skin care, transferring patients to and from beds, feeding patients, emptying drainage bags, and providing H.S. care, under the direction of the assigned Registered Nurse. Abnormal findings are to reported to the assigned RN.
- Performs finger stick blood glucose monitoring, documents and reports results to the Registered Nurse, according to the Point of Care protocol.
- Complies with all protocols related to falls, risk for falls, bowel and bladder regimen, safety rounds, etc.
- Assists patients in achieving maximum mobility by repositioning, transferring and assisting with ambulation. Performs passive range of motion. Documents time in patient chart or electronic record. Reinforces established exercise program as delegated by Registered Nurse or Physical Therapist.
- Assists patient with TED hose measurements, application and removal of TED hose, per protocol. Assists with SCDs per protocol.
- Obtains and/or delivers specimens utilizing standardized precautions. Collects specimens using the two identifier process. Inputs requests for specimens in the computer.
- Performs other duties when necessary including, but are not limited to: answering telephones and patient call lights, interacting with the patients family, initiating primary post mortem care, receiving and orientating the patient to room (admission kit, phone, gown television, call light, bed operation). May be responsible for assisting with other clerical duties, as assigned by the RN.
- Performs other duties based on unit specialty. Refer to unit specific competencies based orientation for validation of appropriate competencies.
- Assists with organization and cleanliness of unit.
- The associate must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the care appropriate to the age of the patient served in their assigned area. Possess the ability to collect data reflective of the patients status and record and report to the RN the appropriate information relative to the patients age-specific needs and provide care as needed.
- Responsible for shift reporting utilizing walking rounds. Ensures pertinent information is communicated to next caregiver utilizing handoff.
- Assists with cleaning and maintenance of patient equipment on the nursing unit. May include monitoring and documenting of refrigerator temperatures with follow up to appropriate person if not within acceptable limits.
- Participates in emergency/code situations as directed. Performs Basic Life Support (BLS) as necessary.
- Performs all aspects of job duties with a focus on patient safety at all times.
- Maintains customer focus. Models, teaches, applies, and upholds St. John Health Care Promises and utilizes them as their behavioral standard.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff.
- Participates in the collaborative identification and reporting of safety issues.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the care appropriate to the age of the patient served in their assigned area.
- Computer skills, including the ability to utilize the electronic medical records.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- One or more of the following:
- Basic Life Support Provider certification from the American Heart Association (AHA) required. American Red Cross (ARC) CPR for Professional Rescuers card will be accepted upon hire but renewal must be a BLS Provider card from AHA.
- High School graduate or equivalent is required. Completion of, but not limited to, one or more of the following areas required: Certified Nurse Assistant program or one or more years hospital experience as a Nurse Assistant, Patient Care Associate program, Medical Office Assistant program or other direction care vocational training, Current Co-op student, Nursing Student enrolled in an accredited RN program and has completed the Fundamentals of Nursing
- Previous experience in direct patient care required. Certified Nursing Assistant preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: [email protected]
. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension Michigan participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)