We Are Hiring
The Surgical Oncology and Hepatobiliary Surgery Division at Ascension - Columbia St. Mary's Hospital is looking for a full-time Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner to join our elite team!
Why Join Ascension?
About Ascension Milwaukee Hospitals
- As a member of Ascension Milwaukee Hospitals, our advanced practitioners join a large community of providers who are called to deliver compassionate, personalized care for all persons, especially those who are struggling or affected by poverty.
- Shared best practices and knowledge amongst the largest nonprofit provider of care in the country.
- Milwaukee Ascension Hospitals include more than 40 clinic sites of care in Milwaukee as well as 7 owned hospitals averaging a bed size of 250-beds and 2 affiliated orthopedic hospitals, several skilled nursing facilities including the Alexian Village, ambulatory care facilities, home health care, physician practices, managed care services, and 4 cancer centers as well as standalone infusion sites.
- Milwaukee Ascension Hospitals are the heart of the network in Wisconsin, two of which host residents. Ascension hospitals have been recognized for renowned cardiology, behavioral health, women’s health, oncology, and neuroscience service lines and more than 200 primary care providers.
- Ideally located on the shores of Lake Michigan, 90 miles North of Chicago.
- Culturally diverse community that offers all of the amenities of a large city with the convenience and quality of life found in a smaller city.
- Three major professional teams including the Bucks, Brewers, Milwaukee Admirals are located here, as well as indoor soccer and intercollegiate athletics.
- Cultural activities include the Milwaukee Art Museum, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, and the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts.
- For families, Milwaukee has an excellent zoo considered to be among the finest in the country, a world class museum with an IMAX® theater, the Betty Brinn Children’s Museum, Discovery World, and an extensive county park system.
- Residents enjoy many outdoor activities such as boating, fishing, and sailing on Lake Michigan; hiking, golfing, bike riding, and walking along the lakefront along with many trails.
About Ascension Medical Group
When you join Ascension Medical Group (AMG), you are entering a community where physician and advanced practice provider engagement and experience is recognized as a key driver of delivering excellent patient care.
With 1,900 sites of care and 7,000 providers strong, AMG is one of the largest healthcare provider networks in the United States. Physicians and advanced practice providers benefit from a collaborative approach to care, significant professional opportunities, career advancement, training and competitive wages.
What You Will Do
- You will be an active, collaborative, and essential member of the Surgical Oncology and Hepatobiliary Surgery team taking care of patients with complex benign and malignant disorders of the liver, gallbladder, bile duct, pancreas, small intestine, and peritoneum.
- You will be the primary first assistant on most hepatobiliary and complex surgical oncologic operative cases at Columbia St. Mary's Hospital.
- You will interact and communicate daily with other members of the multidisciplinary care team — including floor and intensive care unit nurses; hospitalists and intensivists; medical and radiation oncologists; diagnostic and interventional radiologists; and gastroenterologist and hepatologists.
- Approximately 80% of the candidate's time will be as the operative first assistant in complex abdominal surgical oncology and hepatobiliary cases.
- The candidate will also round on hepatobiliary and surgical oncology post-operative patients on the floor and intensive care unit, be an initial responder to nurses and other staff for any inpatient needs, and be the first point of contact on emergency room and hospital consults during business hours.
- The candidate will perform clinical assessments, interpret diagnostic laboratory tests and radiologic procedures, and provide education to patients and their caregivers regarding post-operative care.
- As the hepatobiliary and surgical oncology program begins, the candidate may also assist in the outpatient clinic with patient assessments for common postoperative issues.
- Reasonable call schedule responsibilities will be distributed between the Surgical Oncology and Thoracic Surgery teams.
What You Will Need
- Required Credential(s):
- BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA) obtained within 2 Months (60 days) of hire date or job transfer date.
- Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner credentialed from the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) license
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Advanced Life Support credentialed from the American Heart Association (AHA).
- Graduate of accredited Master's degree Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner program
- Previous operative first assistant experience preferred. Examples include (but not limited to) hepatobiliary surgery, surgical oncology, colorectal surgery, transplant surgery, vascular surgery, cardiac/thoracic surgery, general surgery, etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Wisconsin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against employees or prospective employees on basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, disability, arrest and/or conviction record, military status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by law.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement