We Are Hiring
Sterile Processing Tech II - Sterile Processing 001 - Full-Time, Rotating - Ascension Oakland Hospital - Madison Heights,MI
Afternoons with some rotation to other shifts
This is a collective bargaining agreement union position
What We Offer You
· Competitive compensation
· Professional development
· Wellbeing programs and holistic growth opportunities
· Work-life balance through generous paid time off
· Tuition reimbursement
· Adoption assistance
· Medical, dental, vision and retirement match
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable. In FY2019, Ascension provided $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Ascension includes more than 150,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers. The national health system operates more than 2,600 sites of care – including 150 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 20 states and the District of Columbia, while providing a variety of services including clinical and network services, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do
As an associate with Ascension Michigan, you will have the opportunity to, under direct supervision, perform the following job assignments; decontamination, assembly, sterilization of floor grade instrument trays, patient care equipment, the sterilization of surgical instrumentation, and the assembly of supply exchange carts as assigned.
- Properly cleans, reassembles and checks all instruments and patient equipment.
- Correctly uses the washer decontaminator to clean all instruments, including the changing of soap and lubricant according to departmental policy.
- Inspects all instruments for proper functioning and cleanliness.
- Assembles instrument trays according to the count sheet for OR, Storeroom, ER, and Cath Lab and other areas as needed.
- Performs proper wrapping or packaging techniques for each set, single instrument, basins, gown packs, towel packs and labels all packages correctly.
- Marks all packages with correct load stickers, knows how to read load sticker and knows the purpose of load stickers. Creates an accurate list of sterilizer load contents.
- Correctly loads sterilizer cart containing wrapped instrument sets, wrapped packages, peel pouches and instruments.
- Applies the principles of steam sterilization including, pressure, time, temperature, dry time, biological testing, and sterilizer setting when correctly interpreting the data printout at the end of a cycle to determine proper sterilization.
- Performs biological testing for each set or load and properly places testing materials inside of the load. Accurately reads biological testing materials to determine efficient operation of sterilizer (i.e., Bowie-Dick, Challenge packs). Follows proper logging techniques for biological indicators in log book.
- Checks applicable appropriate areas for integrity of sterile packaging and reprocesses any items whose packaging has been compromised.
- Follows departmental policy for universal precautions, the handling of blood and body fluids and the handling of sharps.
- Uses proper body mechanic and lifting techniques.
- Orders stock on designated days in the absence of SPD Coordinator.
- Initiates orders of specialty beds and other special requests by Doctor/Nursing units.
- Instructs new associates on the proper techniques as assigned.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to lift heavy objects without restriction.
- Excellent customer satisfaction skills.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the care appropriate to the age of the patient served in their assigned area. Possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information relative to the patient's age-specific needs and provide care needed, including but not limited to principles of growth and development, psychological needs, etc. as described in the department's policies and procedures manual.
What You Will Need
- High School graduate or equivalent is required Ability to read and write English required
- One year experience in the handling of patient care equipment and floor grade instrumentation preferred.
- Completion of Sterile Processing program preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: [email protected]
. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension Michigan participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)