We Are Hiring
Medical Laboratory Assistant - Part-Time, Night - Ascension Oakland Hospital - Madison Heights,MI
Position is weekends only, every other weekend. 2300-0730
This is a collective bargaining agreement union position
Why Join Ascension?
In Michigan, Ascension operates 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities that together employ over 20,000 associates. Across the state, Ascension Michigan is working together to help bring patients more resources and better care. Ascension Michigan is also committed to its community; it provided over $272 million in community benefit and care of persons living in poverty in FY2018. Ascension Michigan is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable. In FY2019, Ascension provided $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Ascension includes more than 150,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers. The national health system operates more than 2,600 sites of care – including 150 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 20 states and the District of Columbia, while providing a variety of services including clinical and network services, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do
As an associate with Ascension Michigan, you will have the opportunity to, under close supervision, perform simple testing, phlebotomy, clerical functions, data entry, specimen processing, specimen dispatch, set-up and/or other laboratory related duties, including computer functions (performs some or all of the typical duties, depending on job assignment). A Laboratory Assistant follows established system, hospital, department, safety, environmental, and infection control policies, procedures and objectives while complying with all requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Performs clerical work and computer functions, including computer print jobs. Answers telephone calls, gives verbal reports, and calls test results.
- Collects blood specimens from patients, following established venipuncture, and/or capillary procedures.
- Prepares and transports specimens to the testing laboratory (including reference laboratories), ensuring specimen integrity. Maintains specimen control, storage, centrifuging, aliquotting, and specimens dispatch to appropriate location in a timely manner.
- Processes patient registrations, in a timely and accurate manner in the hospital registration system, including entry of correct diagnosis code and billing information.
- Accurately processes, sorts, and delivers mail and reports in a timely manner.
- Performs and/or assists with simple laboratory procedures as assigned.
- Provides excellent customer service in keeping with the SJH mission, vision, and values.
- Acts as primary liaison between patients, physicians, general public and the laboratory. Communicates with appropriate personnel about any unusual problems.
- Maintains inventory, orders, receives, and puts away stock in an orderly and timely manner.
- Participates in the orientation, education, and training of other laboratory and SJH personnel, residents, students, and consumers.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and technical advances in laboratory operations, including inter/intra laboratory meetings, staff meetings, and inservices.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment related to specific area. Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Performs other related jobs as required and directed, for example data collection, special assignments, etc.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide age appropriate care as described in the departments policy and procedure manual.
- Completes annual competency related to scope of duties and age of population being served.
- Improve patient safety in the delivery of health care by understanding and applying the patient safety goal for SJPHS/Ascension of no preventable deaths or injuries.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, insurance, and medical billing practices preferred.
- Basic to typing skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to read, write, understand, and speak English.
- Physical ability for extensive walking, standing, bending, and lifting.
- Demonstrates visual, auditory, and verbal skills to effectively interact with all levels of personnel within SJH and external customers.
- Demonstrates effective written skills and communications for inter/intra departmental or external use.
- Exercises sound judgment and uses discretion when making decisions.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor.
- Demonstrates application of knowledge and technical skills appropriate for the specific age population being served.
What You Will Need
- Preferred Credential(s):
- Phlebotomy certification or diploma/certificate from a recognized phlebotomy or medical assistant training program preferred.
- High School graduate or equivalent is required.
- Six months previous job related experience preferred. Keyboarding or data entry experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension Michigan is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Ascension Michigan provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: [email protected]
. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within Ascension Michigan will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with Ascension Michigan.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify links below for more information.
Right to Work